Maggi was hosting the Swirly Girls' Challenge this month and she was calling for absolute MAYHEM... with Mixed Media. :) I always dread mixed media challenges, but this one turned out to be quite fun. It helped that I was working with the cute photo of one of my favorite pets, DaVinci, my crested canary.
So to start with, Maggi wanted us to use a stencil with molding paste. I chose a beautiful damask stencil by The Crafter's Workshop and used Wendy Vecchi's Studio 490 Gold Embossing Paste. Over that I misted some TA ChalkBoard glimmer mist called Decadence. Maggi also wanted us to use a second stencil ... I got carried away and used TWO more: The Crafter's Workshop, "Flower Frame", and Dylusions "Luis Leaves".
She also wanted us to use 2 different mists and make some handmade flowers. Now THESE were fun. I cut my flowers out of vellum using a Tattered Lace die called "Lacy Daisy". I sprayed the solid piece with "Guacamole" mist by Art Anthology, and the lacy piece with Shimmerz "Goldie Lox". Look how they curled when the mist hit them... no further distressing was required!
They were SO pretty when put together!
Now Maggi wasn't done with us yet! She also wanted us to incorporate paint into our project. Soooooo I painted the Dusty Attic chipboard frame around DaVinci with "Leaf" Sorbet Dimensional Paint by Art Anthology. The glimmer and "goopiness" of that paint is wonderful! (We got it in our Swirlydoos kit this month.)
Use a die cut, Maggi said, so I die cut some leaves using Die-Namites "Leafy Branch" out of vellum and cardstock. The cardstock ones I painted with a yummy, fun to use, "Stamp Paint" by Viva Decor in Metallic Brown - so pretty.
Last, but not least, Maggi said use a stamp and do some embossing, so I made this sweet little stamped butterfly (using a stamp from Prickly Pear called Butterflies) on vellum using Versafine "Vintage Sepia" ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder.
It was a lot of work, but I absolutely love this layout! I hope you have enjoyed seeing how it came together!!
I am going to enter it in the challenge on Die-Namites' blog. I filled two of their requirements by using their Leafy Branch die and I also used vellum. You can check out the challenge here.
Thanks for stopping by!
Enjoy the long weekend!!