Welcome Everyone!

Remember to "click" on all pictures if you'd like to see them a little closer.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

It's Wild Wednesday at Scrapbooker's Paradise!

Hi everyone!

I was playing with paints and stencils this week, and am sharing all the details on how I made the background for this layout, here at Scrapbooker's Paradise. 

*Please note, when I posted this blog last night, I forgot to give credit to Kelly Foster, a fantastic mixed media artist, who is always very willing to share techniques, etc.  She taught us a background technique at Flying Unicorn, using this stencil and I modified it a wee bit to work with materials that I had on hand.  You can check out Kelly's work at her blog here.  I promise you will be so inspired! 

 
Here's a close up showing how textured and sparkly it is.
 
 
I thought I would share with you how I altered the bird chippy; and also what I did to the flowers to make them blend into my layout a little better.
 
The bird chippy was first painted with Gesso,  and then a coat of Kenyon Copper Sorbet.  Then I just painted here and there with the Mayan Gold Velvet and the Wineberry Velvet, added a little Chocolate Sorbet, and misted in spots with the Guacamole.  
 
 
 The chippy was a little large, so I cut it up to use here and there on my layout.
 
 
 
 Next, I wanted to use this flower vine, but it wasn't the right colour.
 
So I painted it with Gesso.
 
Then I painted it with the same mix of paints that I used on the chippy.  I always use the light colours on the petals, and the darker colours in the centers.  To darken the center of the large rust coloured flower, I painted on some TA Tattered Leather Glimmer Mist and just flicked it outward.  The medium sized flower was too white, so I painted it with a coat of Chocolate Sorbet and it was perfect!
 
I think the flower cluster looks much better now!
 
 
And finally, the little tags that I tucked under the photo, were cut from cardstock.  I then used Frayed Burlap Distress Ink and the Crackle stencil from Prima to distress them.  I had some left-over Bo Bunny Trail Mix stickers from another project, so I cut them out and applied them to the tags, distressed the edges and I was done. 
 
 
Thank you for stopping by today!  Be sure and check out my how-to on the background (here) because it was a lot of fun and I know you will want to try it too!! 
 
Linda
 
Supplies used:

Prima Stencil - Checker 
Prima Stencil - Crackle
Liquitex Modeling Paste
Ingvild Bolme Chalk Fluid - Old Road
Bo Bunny Trail Mix stickers
Misc cardstock, flowers, burlap

 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. I love what you did and I love that you used flowers and its a picture of a male! You're always thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you always give such great details so we know how you create such magic! LOVE the background technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning Linda! What a transformation! You have created a beautiful background. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

    Hugs, Dawn

    ReplyDelete