Welcome Everyone!

Remember to "click" on all pictures if you'd like to see them a little closer.

Friday, April 26, 2013

PPC114 Playing in Paradise Challenge

Good morning everyone!  Yay!  It's Friday!!  As you read this, I am off basking in the sunshine of beautiful Victoria.  I hope your Friday is as wonderful as mine!
PPC #114

     I am hosting a new challenge at Playing in Paradise today.  The format for the challenge is going to be changing, so be sure and check out the blog today as Pam will be explaining everything!
     I planned this challenge quite awhile ago when I thought that by now we would be surrounded by green grass and budding trees.  As I have been complaining to you for awhile now, this is the "Spring that never was".  It's still snowing and cold, cold, cold.
     But you know what .... let's create our own Springtime Joy!  Show me what you love about Spring:  colours, flowers, birds, sunshine ... craft it and perhaps .... it will COME!
     I have long wanted to try a mixed media canvas, so that is what I did for you today.  It has soft colours, flowers - lace, stenciled, paper, rhinestones, flower chip board, birds, and garden lanterns.  I love gardening so this canvas is my garden of Hope.





















I started with an 8x10 canvas board from the Dollar Store and began gluing down torn pieces from Bo Bunny's C'est la Vie paper collection.


It was pretty BRIGHT, so I took some gesso and painted over everything with a very light coat.  (A friend has told me that her "go to" product for doing this is Picket Fence Distress Stain, so next time I will try THAT and see how it looks.)

The next thing I did was add some texture with templates and molding paste.  Glued on a couple of pieces of lace and then sprayed with "Bamboo Leaf" and "Bed of Roses" Shimmer Spritz, as well as Sunkissed Peach TA Glimmer Mist.  I also embossed a pink butterfly towards the middle but it is very difficult to see.  To "frame" the canvas, I went around the edges with blue Gelatos, one from the 50's Diner set and one from the Blue set.  Just "crayoned" it on and blended with my finger and a small amount of water. 


To make my "sun" glow a little more, I rubbed "Old Silver" Inka Gold lightly over the stenciled area.


















I picked out my embellies and started placing them, but couldn't decide on what colour of green to use for the leaves in the upper left corner, so I did up some samples on the chipboard packages, and then it was easy to choose!  I went with "Verdigris" Embossing Antiquities by Ranger.  I've had it in my stash for many years and don't know if they still make it, but it's very similar to Stampendous' "Aged Hunter"Embossing Enamel.


Here's a closeup.  The flowers were  painted with "Blackberry Cordial" TA Glimmer Mist.



I wanted my lanterns to be brown with a tiny amount of colour and Lindy's Stamp Gang Moonshadow Mists are perfect for this.  I used "Landlubber Green" and you just get the slightest hint of green when the light hits it the right way.  Lots of beautiful glimmer too!


Then the fun began, adding flowers, lace, pearls, a resin bird, and even an old broach from my jewelery box.  (I'm still recycling Dawn!)


I hope this challenge puts a smile on your face as it did mine! 

Head on over to Playing in Paradise, check out the rules and the up-coming changes, and join in.  I would love to visit your blog or photo site this week and see your Springtime Joy!  (Please note you don't have to have a blog to join the challenge - the rules explain this.)

Be sure and visit the rest of the design team's blogs (just "click" on their names) and see what they were inspired to create this week.  For some, it is their final week with Playing in Paradise and I know you will want to become a "follower" on their blogs to keep up with them.

Thank you for stopping by my blog today.  I love getting visitors!  Give the challenge a try and create some Springtime Joy for yourself!!


Watch for lots of up-coming posts about flowers, as my number one destination 
to go to in Victoria is Butchart Gardens!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Linda


Supplies used were:

Bo Bunny C'est la Vie patterned paper
Bo Bunny & Prima flowers
Prima resin
Want 2 Scrap Pink Pearls
Dyan Reaveley "Dotted Flowers" Stencil 
Crafter's Workshop "Flowers" Template
Dusty Attic Chipboard and lace from my stash
Bamboo Leaf and Bed of Roses Shimmer Spritz
Sunkissed Peach TA Glimmer Mist
Cosmic Pink Moon Glow embossing powder (Lindy's Stamp Gang)
Inka-Gold "Old Silver"
"Landlubber Green" Lindy's Moonshadow Mist
Embossing Antiquities "Verdigris" - Stampendous Embossing Enamel "Aged Hunter" would be a good alternative.
Teal coloured Gelato
Gesso
Molding Paste
Old Karen Foster title sticker
Piece of canvas board from the Dollar Store
The pink broach is an old one from home.

Supplies available from Scrapbooker's Paradise:



6 comments:

  1. Interesting process Linda, I did wonder how you changed the hue on those papers. thanks for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now you're in Victoria, which is like having spring land on you fully-formed! It's always gorgeous there this time of year *sigh* Enjoy your trip!
    What an absolutely fabulous project - I LOVE how you've made the papers come together so beautifully. Who woulda thunk it? And you know I'll still be following you & coming to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning canvas, Linda! Thanks for sharing your process :) I don't think you will get as much of a white wash effect with the picket fence stain unless you are ready with your heat gun to dry it before it has a chance to completely soak in the paper. I love your colour choices and embellishments (esp. the reclycling :) ). I've just been sitting here taking in all the gorgeous details.

    Hope you are having a wonderful time and enjoying the beautiful spring weather in Victoria.

    Hugs, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that the sun was indeed shining for you here in Victoria. At least you will see all the pretty cherry and apple blossoms that line the streets and fall like pink snow :).

    Love your project, all the details are stunning :) I can't wait to see all the projects you continue to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love that inspiration photo with the pink blossoms against the blue sky, and I also love your interpretation of it! We got a taste of spring early this week, but there is more snow in the forecast for tomorrow. :( So, seeing lovely spring flowers like this is balm for my soul. :)

    Thanks for the step-by-step photos. I know it's time-consuming to take the photos, but I really love to see someone's process. So, thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous canvas! Beautifully designed! Love everything about it! Finally the nice weather is here...enjoy it!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete